Wednesday 24 Apr 2019
You are here:

The News

International Driving Permits.

If you read the Government advice at you will find it says;  
"Driving in Europe after Brexit"
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, you might need an IDP to drive in all EU and European Economic Area (EEA) countries, apart from Ireland.
You will need a:
1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland.........
After 28 March 2019, your permit might not be accepted in some countries. Check if the country you’re visiting will still accept your 1926 or 1949 permit after this date. You can check the front of your permit to see which type you have.
If your current IDP is not accepted, you’ll need to replace it with a 1968 permit.
A 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your UK driving licence expires, whichever comes first."

Registers Day 2019

This year Registers day will be held at Coombe Abbey, Coventry, CV3 2AB on Saturday 1st June. 

The event is being combined with the Citroen Centenary Celebrations being held at the same site.

Registers Day will be an integral part of the weekends events and will consist of the usual line ups, voting, cavalcade and prize giving. You should be able to arrive from 10am and line up in your register as normal. A change from the norm, with cavalcade during voting (around 1pm), voting finishing by 2pm and prize giving around 4pm.


Most vehicles that have had their 40th birthday will become exempt from MoT testing this year.

Here’s some helpful advice on whether your classic will qualify, how to go about declaring a Vehicle of Historical Interest and guidance on if your motor is “substantially changed”.

From May 20th 2018, classic cars that were registered in 1977 or earlier may no longer have to undergo the annual roadworthiness test if they are declared to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) as a historical vehicle.

This MoT exemption is on a rolling basis, for instance in 2019, cars registered in 1978 or earlier can apply for Vehicle of Historical Interest (VHI) status.


To declare your car or motorcycle as a Vehicle of Historic Interest, you must complete a V112 declaration form available from the Post Office or for you to download and print here.

button downloadForm

But remember, just because your vehicle has passed the big 4-0, doesn’t mean it automatically becomes exempt. The responsibility to ensure that your vehicle meets the criteria lies with you, and so it’s important that you make sure your vehicle is not exempt from the new rules.

This can include consulting an expert on your particular marque, or a specialist in historic vehicles. The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs has a list of these relevant experts on its website.


Knowing the exclusions that apply to the new rules is essential. These exceptions are:

  • If your vehicle has been substantially changed in the last 30 years, then it will still require its MoT. There is some guidance on this below.
  • If you’re not able to determine whether your vehicle has been substantially changed, you should not claim to be exempt from testing.
  • Buses, public service vehicles, and commercially used vehicles with eight or more seats registered before 1960 are excluded and will require testing.
  • Buses over 40 years old that are not public service vehicles will be exempt from MoT testing from May 20, provided they meet the new definition of “vehicle of historical interest”.
  • A vehicle issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix that infers it has an unknown registration date.
  • Kit cars assembled from components from different makes and models.
  • A reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by the DVLA.
  • Kit conversion cars that see new parts added to an existing vehicle or older car parts added onto the kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell.


Even if your classic car or bike meets the criteria for MoT exclusion and is declared as a VHI, you must still ensure your vehicle is taxed when on a public road – whether it’s parked or being driven.

You are required to declare that your vehicle is MoT exempt when you apply to the DVLA for your Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) each year.

If your car or bike has a current MOT certificate but is likely to expire within the year, and will then fall under the new rules for exemption from future MoTs, at the time of relicensing you’re required to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.


If a VHI is deemed to have changed considerably from its original spec then it may still require a roadworthiness test, even if it meets the age criteria for exemption.

The definition of “substantially changed” is if the technical characteristics of the vehicle’s main components have changed in the previous 30 years.


The Engine

If the engine has been changed to one that is different from its original, this is considered a substantial change. One way of identifying this is if the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original. However, if it is the same basic engine with alternative cubic capacities then these are not considered a substantial change.

Chassis or Monocoque Bodyshell 

This includes any sub-frames. However, replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a substantial change.

Axles and Running Gear

If the type and or method of suspension or steering is altered then this constitutes a substantial change.

Unless they have been kept in pristine condition, the age of many classic cars means they will usually have undergone some work to bring them to a roadworthy standard.


  • Different parts being used to preserve a vehicle when original type parts are no longer reasonably available
  • Changes to axles and running gear aimed at improving efficiency, safety or environmental performance
  • Type changes that took place during the model’s production years, or within 10 years of the end of production
  • Changes made to commercial vehicles at a time they were being used commercially


In addition to the Historical Vehicles class, there are other exemptions from full or part MoT testing.

For instance, steam-powered vehicles are fully exempt and all spark ignition (petrol) vehicles over 3.5 tonnes are not required to undergo the metered check in the test.

If a heavy goods vehicle weighing more than 3.5 tonnes was first used before 1960 and used unladen, it will be exempt from testing, providing it has not been substantially changed.

However, some pre-1960 large goods vehicles will require goods vehicle tests. If they have never been tested, owners will need to apply for a first test using a VTG1 application form.

If you require more guidance, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency can provide advice over the phone and via email.

FBHVC Press Release (23/01/2019)

DVLA Statement on VHI Declaration

The outcome from the ‘Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest’ consultation was released on 14 September 2017.

The Government have decided that most vehicles over 40 years old (on a rolling basis) will be exempt from MOT testing from 20 May 2018.

Those that have been ‘substantially changed’ will still require yearly testing. We have now published final guidance as to what constitutes ‘substantial change’ in the context of old vehicles.

For information on how to register your vehicle as VHI and further guidance on this matter, please click on the below link.

Click Here >>>



Check out the Events Listings to find out what is going on in your area.

We wanted you to be one of the first to know about exciting changes to Footman James’ classic vehicle insurance. Footman James has conducted intensive research with customers and some of its strategic vehicle clubs in helping to design the cover available.
As part of the acquisition of Footman James by Towergate Insurance Group at the start of this year, Footman James has teamed up with insurance group Ageas to bring the products to life.

Ageas has the in-depth knowledge of our market and understands the passion that comes with owning a classic car – as well as the time and investment needed to restore and maintain a vehicle.


Budget 2014

There's good news for classic car owners in the 2014 budget. From April 2014, the classic car exemption from VED will begin rolling from 40 years, with cars built before January 1974 eligible for a zero-rated tax disc. Then, from January 2015, the formerly fixed cut-off, will become a rolling one. .

Citroen Dyane inner rear wing replacement panelsSPOG has been working very hard over a number of years to bring this project to life, and we are very happy to announce that the first batch of 100 pairs of Dyane inner rear wings is expected to be ready for shipping in October 2012.

These panels have been designed and manufactured from scratch, including commissioning all the design drawings and custom machine tooling required to manufacture them. SPOG has gone to great lengths to ensure that they are as good as (in fact, we believe better than, as they are of a thicker gauge steel) the original Citroën part, which is no longer available. They have been extensively quality tested, and are assured to fit perfectly.

This item is eagerly awaited both in the UK and abroad. They are available to order now, so don't delay!
NOTE: This price is only for the first batch - regrettably, subsequent production runs will cost more (this is down to our suppliers, not SPOG).



Getting insurance if you're under 25 is already enough of a headache, but recent reports of Footman James now refusing to take on such drivers on their classic car policies is affecting 2CVGB members. So what's up with that?! We find out...


Find Your Local Group

2CVGB Events Calendar

<<  Apr 19  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
  8  91011121314